Sunday, March 19, 2006

Vacations

Vacation trips were unusual when I was growing up. They were expensive and we just didn’t have money for that. Usually, when my Dad had his vacation week he would just work around home or go arrowhead hunting. Sometimes he took his vacation time during Old Threshers so he could work in the church food tent or show his arrowheads in the antique building. That wasn’t much of a vacation!

I can remember three significant vacations during those early years. Mom, Dad, Loretta and I went to South Dakota. We went to visit Nancy when she lived in Washington, DC, and I went with the Liechtys to New York City and then to Washington, DC. I really can’t do these trips justice here but will give a brief overview of each.

I remember the trip to South Dakota! I remember the long trip across South Dakota. David had told me about Wall Drug and so I watched for the signs. Wall Drug was famous for its signs. They were spread out all the way across the state. Each one designed to get your attention and convince you to stop when you finally got there. We did! Dad was convinced it was a tourist trap and he was right! From there we crossed the Bad Lands and then into the Black Hills. I remember Mt. Rushmore and the Passion play at Spearfish. This trip was part of Loretta’s preparation for the ministry because she endured my torment all the way there and back. She truly got a glimpse of what hell is like.

We also went by train to Washington, DC to visit Nancy and Bill. I loved the train ride! It was an overnight trip and the click clack of the train put me to sleep that night. Once, in the middle of the night, I woke up. The train had stopped somewhere in Pennsylvania. It was half in a long tunnel and half out on a high bridge. Why it was stopped I don’t know but they let Dad and I get off briefly and look down into the deep gorge. Then we were on our way again.

Nancy lived on MacArthur Boulevard in a nice second floor apartment. She secretly kept a rabbit in the apartment the whole time she was there. She took us on grand adventures to the Capitol, the Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, the U.S. Mint, and the Smithsonian Museum. I was awestruck most of the time. We even got a tour of the White House and met our Representative, Fred Schwengal, who gave me a newly minted penny. Then and every time that I met that man after word he treated me like I was his best friend.

Max Liechty was a rural letter carrier and their annual convention was in Washington, DC. He planned a family trip that included a week in New York City and then a week at the convention in Washington. For some reason, his sons, Joe and Jerry, decided that I should go along. My parents reasoned that I could see New York City and then spend a week with my sister and that I might as well go.

We drove straight through to New York in the Liechty’s car. Max and his wife were in front seat and us three boys were in the back. It was not exactly the most comfortable ride I have ever had. Sleeping was pretty much out of the question. I remember seeing the lights of New York long before we got there. I was amazed at how bright they were and how they lit up the sky.

We stayed in a hotel in downtown New York while we were there. We could see the Empire State building from the window of our room. That week we went to the top of the Empire State building and the Statue of Liberty. I bought a disappearing coin trick and a magic shop. I still have it! Mrs. Liechty and Max were on the TV show Queen for a Day and won everything but the final question. They asked Max to say the Boy Scout oath and his mind just went blank. Month’s later crates of the prizes they won were shipped to their house. It included clothing, kitchen appliances, and furniture.

We left New York and the Liechtys dropped me off at Nancy’s apartment in Washington. I was there for about five days. I was very tired from my week in New York and not real excited about doing anything. I think after the first day or so Nancy was ready to send me on my way. She did take me many places including a trip to Chesapeake Bay for a day of swimming and playing in the sand. We also went to an outdoor concert in a park.

At the end of the week the Liechtys loaded me up in their car and we headed for home. I don’t remember much about the trip and only remember being exhausted when we got home. My Mom said I slept for two days after that trip.

No comments: