Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Heather

Heather’s due date was April 5 but nothing happened. By the 10th of April, Becky was pretty uncomfortable. At a doctor visit, Dr. Rankin said that if nothing had happened soon they would “strip the membrane” on Friday the 13th. I wasn’t worried about it being on Friday the 13th and actually feel the 13th is a lucky day. That is probably because I was born on September 13th.

What I was worried about was this “strip the membrane” business. I didn’t know exactly what it meant and it sounded very ominous! I didn’t want to appear stupid so I didn’t ask but wanted to say, “ So, what does that mean?” I don’t recall hearing the term before that time so I cringed when I heard it and hear it I did! It seemed like that week I must have heard it a thousand times. It was as though everyone knew the term bothered me and they enjoyed watching me react. Even now it causes an adverse reaction with me.

Friday came and no baby! Becky went in to the doctor’s office about 2 o’clock that afternoon and the doctor did the “strip the membrane” business. He said it won’t be long now and sent Becky home. It wasn’t until about 10 o’clock that night that there was some action.

We took Angie to my parent’s house and we went to the hospital. Becky was having contractions but they were too far apart. Gradually, they got closer and closer but as time wore on Becky became exhausted! Becky’s Mom arrived sometime in the morning and I took a break and went home for a while to rest. The pains were getting pretty intense and when it looked like the baby would soon be born, they gave Becky an epidural, which helped her a lot. But, since there was no pain the nurses had to tell her when to push. The miracle happened at 2:58 PM!

The doctor said that Becky and the baby were fine! I went downstairs at the hospital and filled out the papers for Heather Anne Ross. Sometime after that though there was concern!

Someone said Heather was a Bileruben baby. No one offered us any information about exactly what that was and I think we were afraid to ask. I think it was my mother who finally explained it to me. It was fairly common and my mother said they used to take care of it by setting a new baby in the sun until their liver begins to fully function. Untreated it can lead to mental retardation. We were horrified but everyone assured us that she would be fine.

They put tiny Heather in a bed with a plastic cover over it and a bright light. They put a black mask over her eyes and otherwise she was totally uncovered. She looked so helpless in there that we were in tears. Every once in while they would come and test her blood by poking a needle in her heal. Soon it was black and blue and we felt so powerless to help her.

After 24 hours like that they said we could take Heather home. We were relieved and by then knew much more about what was wrong. Our relief was short lived however. When Becky took Heather into Dr. Rankin’s office the next day he said she needed to go back under that light. Becky called me in tears from the hospital. When was this going to end!

It did end after 24 more hours under that light and those horrible needle holes in now her other heal. We took her home for good the next day and finally felt some return not to normalcy but more what we expected.

No comments: