Sunday, August 19, 2007

Curses

I really don’t believe in curses but there are some times when you just wonder? Particularly when certain kinds of problems just don’t seem to go away.

When we looked at the house on West Clay we noticed that in the basement one of the covers on the large sewer pipe was missing. It was just an open hole and the realtor said that it was no problem and could be fixed easily. I should have known better.

Plumbers just looked at it and shrugged. They said the spot where the cover screwed in was broken and the only thing to do was replace the whole thing. That was something they didn’t seem to want to do and I certainly couldn’t afford. Now, you can’t have an open sewer pipe in your basement because not only does it make the whole house smell bad but also it poses an explosion risk because methane is highly flammable.

The hole was about eight inches in diameter. I tried covering it with plastic bags and duck tape. That sort of worked but my Dad didn’t like it. He carefully measured the hole and then, in true Mennonite tradition, fashioned a wooden plug for the hole. It was perfect and even plumbers marveled at how well it worked!

Sewer problems solved. Not so fast! They were only just beginning!

Our sewer started backing up. A neighbor said, “That house had always had sewer problems!”

We tried everything! I dumped more chemicals down the drain than Dupont produces in a year. I am probably, single handily, responsible for the dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico. Oh, some things worked for a while but the problem always came back.

The old fellows I talked to said it was the Moleburg tile. I am not sure that was the name but whatever it was tended to crack and let roots in and that is what clogged up the sewer.
It was roots all right! My neighbor, Charlie Shappell, did something, which turned out to be a routine. About every three months we would have to send a twisting sewer taped through the line. It always came back with a great big ball of roots. Sometimes we had trouble pulling it out because the roots were packed so tight around the tip.

I have to tell you that rooting out a sewer is not a pleasant task for what should be obvious reasons. In our time in that house I bet I did it at least 20 times. I paid to have others do it, too.

Noting seemed to solve the problem. Finally, I dug up the sewer by hand for the first of three times because I couldn’t afford to have it done. I cleaned it as best I could but the roots would always eventually come back.

At last, I thought, I paid the plumbers to come and replace that old pipe with new plastic that was root proof and would solve my problem. It didn’t!
For some strange reason they replaced the entire line to the street except the last three feet before it came into the basement.

The last thing we did as owners of that house was pay to have that last three feet of pipe replaced because, of course, the sewer was plugged and the new owner wanted it fixed.

Shhhhh!!!! We have escaped the sewer curse for now but I am still looking over my shoulder now and then.

No comments: