Monday, October 22, 2007

Deer Hunting

Growing up I did a lot of hunting and fishing. I hunted rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, and quail, but never deer. My mother, of course, thought deer were beautiful animals and didn’t think they should be hunted. I, too, thought they were pretty amazing animals. I still do.

Deer were almost totally hunted out of Iowa by the turn of the century. That would be 1900 for you readers. It was only through conservation efforts that they were re-introduced in Iowa. I have seen early Iowa newspaper articles from the 1920s about the excitement of spotting a deer. Over the years the population grew unchecked. By the 1970s deer hunting was a popular outdoor activity.

My neighbor, Charlie Shappell, invited me to hunt with his group soon after we moved into our house on West Clay. I passed that year but took him up on the offer the next year. I hunted with them for several years.

I learned that storytelling is a huge part of hunting deer. The hunters easily spend as much time talking about the hunt as they do hunting. Stories from previous years have to be told. It is truly a social event for the participants. At its heart, deer hunting is more about being out in the woods than killing anything. The hunt is just as satisfying even if you don’t shoot a deer.

The first year I hunted I didn’t see a live deer. I saw a couple dead ones that other members of the group shot but that was it. The second year I saw a couple from a great distance but nothing anywhere close enough to shoot at. The third year the group placed me on a hill that looked out over a big valley.

From that vantage point I watched in amazement as deer ran from one side of the valley to the other. When they reached one side there would be a volley of 10 or 20 shots and the deer would run to the other side where they would encounter more hunters. They would fire away and the deer would run back the other way. This went on for some time as the hunters on each side moved down the valley. It was amazing! It was even more amazing considering that hundreds of shots must have been fired and not one single deer was hit. The two-dozen or so deer escaped unscathed. They must have gone off somewhere and laughed about the cross-eyed hunters who shot at them.

Often we finished the season with only one or two deer to show for all of our time and energy. We usually split up the meat between all of the hunters and so sometimes I only got a package or two. Other times we did better but always missed more deer than we hit.

It was four years before I even fired a shot and seven years before I got my first deer. He as a huge buck that probably would have ran over me if I hadn’t shot him. His rack is still on the shelf in the garage. When I finally broke the ice that year I seemed to get one every year for several years in a row.

No comments: