Sunday, April 27, 2008

Finances

My journals reflect my mood and the struggles of life. As I read over the journal entries in the 1979-80 volume I see many references to the difficulties we had with finances. Sometimes those struggles brought on arguments and always frustrations. Some entries chronicle our desperation.

Our worm business and second jobs were prompted by the need for additional income. We also had to rely on bank loans or help from our parents. It is a painful part of life to learn to live within your resources. There were many sleepless nights and lots of prayers.

In reading the journal and reflecting back on it I think I was probably way too involved in other things and not focused enough on solving the problem. We just couldn’t seem to get over the hump. We would think we were doing well and then a car would break down and need to be fixed or replaced. If it wasn’t a car it was the furnace, stove, water heater or something else. We were just plunging deeper and deeper in debt.

If we could have just been able to put a couple thousand in a rainy day fund we would have been so much better able to get along. It is amazing that a small amount like that could make so much difference. Because we didn’t have that we had to rely on credit too often.

Somehow through all of the struggles we remained optimistic even when we had no idea how we would ever get out of the financial doldrums. I think this may be something that a lot of people go through but that doesn’t make it any easier.

Participating in the Southeast Iowa Writing Project (SIWP) set me on a journey that would ultimately lead to more financial security. It was a rocky road but it led me to take more classes, an expense, but that led me to teaching more classes and, of course that led to increased income.

In the spring of 1980, another SIWP participant and I taught an adult education course on writing for Southeastern Community College. It was an interesting experience that I will write about later, but it did provide some income. At the same time I was teaching that class I was also teaching a woodcarving class and taking a required human relations course. They occupied three nights a week. It was a busy schedule preparing for each of those!

On top of those that spring I was teaching adult Sunday school lessons each week, teaching the Red Cross Multi-Media course to groups, and serving on the church session and the board of directors at Hope Haven. Sometime around that time I took on the maintenance of Ernie Haye’s indoor pool. How I managed to do all of that and teach school and be a parent at the same time I don’t know? I couldn’t have possibly done many of them well.

If I had to do it over again I would be much more focused on my family and meeting our financial needs and less on the other stuff. We survived but it could have been a lot easier if I had been more focused on fewer things and devoted my time and energy to them.

No comments: