Sunday, November 09, 2008

Back to My Journals

My 1982-83 journal is just packed with ideas and thoughts about all sorts of things. As I go back and read it now I am amazed at its contents. It was a big year for me!

In July of 1983 I earned a Masters Degree in Elementary Education with an emphasis in reading. I received it on July 29th. It was the fulfillment of a dream and I didn’t really ever think it would actually happen. I took the comps that summer and finished up the last few classes. I agonized over the comps particularly but was elated when I received notification on July 11, that I had passed.

In the spring of that year someone suggested that I should enter the Ph.D. program at Iowa. They said that it was the time to do it because you only had to fill out a change of objective form and get department approval. I didn’t think I would ever get a Ph.D. but thought it would be cool to say I was in a program.

This was also the year I moved from Harlan to Manning Elementary. Manning was leased from the Catholic Church and housed only 4th grade classes. We first heard about the move at a school board meeting early in March. I knew at the time it would probably mean a move for me and I was Ok with it, although a little mystified at what the reasons for the change were.

As the move to Manning rolled out there was a lot of controversy. Some of the people being moved to that building were bitter enemies. Even before any of us got to Manning there were rumors about disagreements. As it turns out one of the agitators went to the junior high so that may relieve some of the problems.

Early that summer I was also pushing hard to be able to use a word processor full time in my classroom. At least one other teacher had one and I thought it would be of great value with student writing. I was obviously frustrated about it.

I grew more excited about the move and the new school year as it got closer. I had planned to take a computer course at Iowa that fall but dropped it when the teacher required that all of the work we did be on University computers. There was no way to do that but drive up from Mt. Pleasant often and that wasn’t an option. I ended up taking a school administration class instead.

My ongoing effort to improve my teaching skills and provide outlets for student writing fills this journal. I mention the effort to get the local radio station to read student fan letters during the half time of football games. They did it for a while but I had forgotten all about it until I read this journal. I was working hard in those days getting my own stuff published, too.

The 1982-83 journal ends on a very sad note. A close friend had taken his own life. It was very upsetting to me!

No comments: