Sunday, July 19, 2009

90s17 Interviews

The more interviews you go through the better you get at doing them. You can begin to anticipate the kinds of questions that will be asked and refine your answers. By the time I got to Iowa City I knew what to expect.

At least I knew what to expect at the initial interview with district administrators. In that interview there were two building principals, a director of instruction, and the director of human resources. They were very welcoming and I felt comfortable there.

After that interview I went out to a waiting area. In a short time I was invited into the Superintendents office. The Superintendent said she could only talk to me briefly as she had a luncheon meeting to attend. An hour later she was still talking. It struck me as odd at the time and I sensed she was trying to sell me on the district. She certainly wasn’t asking me questions.


The next day I was invited back for an interview with the teachers and then the parents. Having been a teacher for years I had a good idea what the teachers would ask. I had almost no idea what the parents would ask.

When I arrived at the building a parent greeted me. She gave me a tour of the building. She seemed very serious and almost stern. I could tell there was some tension. At the end of the building tour she took me to a classroom where I met a large group of teachers and the building secretary. They were very friendly but probed me heavily about my management style.

After the teacher interview I went upstairs to an interview with parents. There must have been at least 20 or maybe more parents in the room. The questions were rapid fire and were often followed up with requests for clarification. The parents were clearly looking for a reason not to hire. I didn’t give them one but felt like I had been through a workout by the time it was over.

I went home thinking I had a shot at the job but was a little surprised by the intensity of the questions. Within the next 24 hours I heard from my university advisor. He said they had called him for a reference on me and he thought I would get the job. A couple hours later the superintendent called and offered me the position. She said I was the unanimous choice of all the groups. I was overwhelmed!

That evening I got a call from a prominent banker in Iowa City congratulating me and offering to help me in any way he could. That was followed by a called from a local realtor who had been a teacher in the district. He, too, offered to help in any way he could. Their hospitality was surprising.

Within 24 hours I heard from others, prepared my letter of resignation, and wrote a personal letter to each Mediapolis elementary teacher. I went to my last Mediapolis board meeting a few days later and one board member suggested they not release me from my contract and keep me there. My good luck was that I had not signed my contract so they could not hold me back.

No comments: