Sunday, May 02, 2010

Roots

Today I went to our cousin, Perry Bender’s greenhouse. I bought a couple plants and a freshly dressed chicken. I showed Perry my copy to the Joseph Goldsmith book. He was fascinated with it and knew many people in the book. Perry is an old order Amish. Very interesting guy!

I went from Perry’s to cousin E. Dale Miller’s house. He is another old order Amish and, believe it or not, an excellent small engine repairman. Not one electric light in his workshop! He fixed my gas hedge trimmer a while back and I picked it up today. He liked the book, too. Joseph Goldsmith is held in high esteem buy all Mennonites and Amish! Through the Egli's (Dad's mother) we are direct descendents of him.

E. Dale also liked the Got Harmonica sign on my back 4runner window and said he was a harmonica player, too. He also raises goats and sells the milk. A truck from Wisconsin comes down twice a week and picks it up.

From E.Dale’s house I went to the Amish bakery, Golden Delight, out in the country north of Kalona. Wow! Great pastry!

The next stop was Paul Beachy’s green house just on the north edge or Kalona. Paul is an old order Amish that has the biggest green house I have every seen! Not sure we are related to him but he is a great guy and a leader of the local Amish.


If this is an indication of what retirement will bring, I'm gonna love it!

No comments: