Sunday, December 03, 2006

High School IV

My junior year in high school was an up and down year for me. A serious ankle sprain marred a successful football season. It was the year I met Becky officially at a basketball game and I was fairly successful in school.

I was the long snapper on the varsity football team. During the Ft. Madison game I was injured. I watched it over and over again on the videotape but couldn’t really figure out why it happened. I had snapped the ball for a punt and ran down the field and made a great tackle on the star running back and in the process forced him to fumble. After the play the video shows me sitting on the ground rocking back and forth in pain.

I was on crutches for three weeks but still played in football games. Dr. Rankin came to the dressing room before each game and taped my ankle so heavily that it was like I had a cast on. I was helped onto the field to hike for each punt and extra point. Our opponents were aware of my injury and tried to tee off on me a few times but most of the time the guards on each side of me kept me safe. The injury, however, has plagued me the rest of my life.

After football season I didn’t go out for wrestling because of the lingering ankle injury. That gave me more time, which was not always a good thing. Idle time for a boy my age led to hanging out at the Princess CafĂ© and smoking cigarettes. I took great care not to get caught smoking by anyone from the school or anyone who might tell my parents. I was never caught. Too bad I didn’t because it might have caused me to quit sooner.

Academically, my junior year was not so bad except for chemistry. I had Roy Oliver as a teacher and it was kind of tough. I did enjoy the labs but needed all the help I could get in the classroom part of the course. Fortunately a friend took mercy upon me and often helped me with the homework. I think I failed the tests but my lab reports and homework were good enough to carry through with at least a C in the course.

We all had to do the dreaded research paper that year in English. To this day I am not sure what that entire exercise is all about but nevertheless everybody did it. It wasn’t really research but the rewriting of someone else’s work. The methodology of the whole process was something that was used in no other place than the school research paper.

I think I had U.S. History with Ron Statler that year, too. I enjoyed the class and Mr. Statler was a good teacher although he almost never left his seat at his desk in the front center of the classroom. I later did my school administrator practicum with Mr. Statler when I finished up my master’s degree. At that time he was principal at the junior high.

After meeting Becky in February that year I was hopelessly in love and spent all of my spare time in Winfield or on a date with her. We went to movies, dances, and even a few parties. The parties were pretty tame compared to the parties kids seem to be having now. We went to Winfield’s prom and then Mt. Pleasant’s together.

No comments: