Sunday, December 31, 2006

Kids Raising Kids

Sometime during the day of April 30, 1968, in dawned on me that the next day, May 1, was the day I was to report to the military. That was, of course, before the events outlined in the previous story. So the welcome waves of relief that passed over me as I thought about it were great. I wasn’t totally in the clear with the draft but I’ll tell more about that later.

I don’t remember a lot of what happened that day except that it was warm. Late that Tuesday night Becky and I decided to go for a ride in our convertible. We enjoyed being outside and the fresh air. Maybe it was the fresh air that did it?

When we got back to 305 North Jackson it was after 11 PM. I was tired and headed for bed. Our baby was due in five days and Becky was quite uncomfortable. Sometime after midnight, Becky woke me up. She said she thought her water had broken and that the baby would be coming soon.

I was instantly wide-awake! We went to the Henry County hospital about 2 AM. I need to say here that this all happened before prenatal classes and the fathers getting to go into the delivery room. The latter was happening in some places but Dr. Rankin said it wasn’t an option in this hospital. In retrospect that was a good thing!

When we reached the hospital Becky and I were sent up stairs to the maternity ward. There in the reception area at the top of the elevator the nurse took Becky and instructed me to go down stairs and fill out some forms. Downstairs they really only wanted to know one thing. Who is going to pay for this? My Dad had already said he would take care of it sort of as a gift to us and the new baby, so that problem was solved when I put his name down. I think the hospital bill was around $160. Dad used to joke that Angie was his because he paid for her. The doctor bill for the birth and the previous nine or so months of office visits was close to $400. We paid that as we went along so it wasn’t so bad.

When I had finished at the registration desk I went back up to the maternity floor. Not sure what I was supposed to do I waited in the reception area near the elevator. The hospital seemed to be almost empty. Occasionally, I would see a nurse pass. I kept trying to get their attention because I wasn’t sure if I was to wait there or go to Becky’s room?

It was standing by the elevator that I first heard it. It was the most agonizing groan of pain I had ever heard and it went on for what seemed like minutes. It subsided and then started up again in a few minutes. I was horrified! I was sure it was Becky and I was powerless to help.

Finally, a passing nurse said, “What are you doing here?” and she led me into a room where Becky was. I told Becky I had heard her and she said, “That’s wasn’t me!” It was someone down the hall whose baby was coming breach. I was incredibly relieved!

Becky and the baby weren’t making much progress. Sometime around 5 AM the doctor decided that Becky was exhausted and needed to rest to get some strength. He gave her some medication to let her sleep and said they would induce the baby later that day.

Becky slept until that afternoon. In the meantime I called Becky’s parents and my parents. I went home briefly to shave and pick up some things and retuned to the hospital. When Becky woke the nurse gave Becky a pill to hold under her tongue. The contractions began soon after that.

Somewhere around 2:30 in the afternoon Angela Sue Ross was born. I stood outside the viewing glass as Dr. Couchman, the assisting physician carried her into an adjoining room where she weighed her. Angie was covered with some gunk and her head was pointed. I was shocked. The doctor turned her over in her hands and examined her like she was a toy doll. She looked at me from behind the glass, smiled and gave me a thumbs up.

Dr. Rankin came out of the birthing room. He said everything was fine and Becky was doing well and would be out soon. I was afraid to ask about the pointed head thing but decided if it was bad someone would say something. Becky later explained the reason for the pointed head to me.

That day I was convinced I was the luckiest man alive. In one short year I had graduated from high school, enrolled in junior college, married the girl of my dreams, avoided being drafted, and became a parent. The birth of a child, of course, pales the other four but they were all very significant positive events for me.

After we had taken Angie home we often got up in the middle of the night just to stare at her in her crib and marvel at our good fortune.

By the way, I still think I am the luckiest guy alive.

No comments: