Monday, January 08, 2007

First Summer

Angela Sue Ross was born of Wednesday, May 1, 1968. May 1 just happens to be my parents wedding anniversary so that has been convenient. It has always helped me remember both. We took Angie home on Saturday morning. We had a nursery ready in the room next to ours. The crib was on the wall next to our room. We had a changing table there, too. It was just a few steps from our bed and we always left the door open.

Becky was the perfect mother and took care of Angie in every way. I was glad of that because it meant I didn’t have to do the diapers very often. I could do it but it wasn’t a job I looked forward to. My job was to make the baby smile and eventually laugh. Angie was born smiling and laughed long before most babies do so that part was easy. She still has a great sense of humor.

Becky was off work for at least 6 weeks but after two was stir crazy from being in the house all of the time. One day when I was getting ready to mow the yard she said she wanted to do it. I agreed to let her, figuring she could handle it or she wouldn’t have asked.

I stayed inside with the baby and Becky went at it. About 10 minutes into the mow a backyard neighbor called almost hysterical. She was screaming about me making Becky mow the yard! She said I was an awful person and she was calling my parents immediately. She did!

I went out and told her what the lady had said. Becky was unruffled by the whole thing and insisted on finishing the lawn. I went back to my babysitting duties in the house and Becky went back to the mowing.

When my Dad called and told me she had called him, too. He said Becky shouldn’t be mowing the yard just two weeks after having the baby. I explained that I didn’t make her do it. He felt I should make her stop. I guess at that point he didn’t know Becky very well.

I don’t think that neighbor ever forgave me and actually reminded me of my terrible offense years later. She was much older and from a time when women rested much longer after childbirth. I wonder what she would say about the hospitals sending new mothers and babies home after one day now?

That summer we took Angie everywhere and she was the life of the party everywhere she went. It was never hard finding someone to help with her because kids and adults were just drawn to her. Well, pretty much the same as now.

I worked at the pool that summer. Becky and Angie came down often and enjoyed the sun and water. Becky even took Senior Lifesaving that summer. Being competitive Becky didn’t hold back and it is a rigorous course so it was very difficult for her.

No comments: