Sunday, December 30, 2007

Becoming a Teacher IX

Teachers usually don’t think much about leaving the profession until about February each year. That is when the school year seems like it will never end and they are stressed and tired. After about eight years at teaching I began to think about my options.

I was really comfortable with what I was doing although never quite satisfied with my lessons and student performance. I felt I understood the curriculum and could modify instruction to meet the needs of my students. I had grown tired of trying to buck a system that seemed to stifle innovation and stopped change dead in its tracks.

I thought about graduate school but doubted I could get in. I looked at my friends and saw that they were making a lot more money than I was and their families were a lot better off. I didn’t feel like their jobs were all that appealing and could see that most worked solely for the money. That is something educators obviously don’t do. I wasn’t sure what else I could do and make a living.

In late winter of 1979 I read in the Area Education Agency newsletter about an interesting opportunity. It changed my life! The article encouraged teachers to apply for admittance to something called the Southeast Iowa Writing Project (SWIP). Enrollment was limited and interested teachers needed to fill out an application and write an essay to get in. There were great incentives! Those accepted would get four hours of University of Iowa graduate credit free and a stipend of $500. I didn’t think I would get in but thought it was too good to pass up trying.

I filled out the form and wrote the essay. It was about how I used writing in science to help my students learn. I sent it all off to the AEA and waited. I still have the letter I got back saying I had been accepted! I was giddy with excitement! I didn’t know where it would lead me but I was ready for the adventure.

In March I was invited to an orientation meeting at the Ft. Madison office of the AEA. There I met Chris Rauscher and Jim Davis. They were the two people who would be teaching the class. The other participants intimidated me. Most were high school English teachers. I pinched myself and wondered how I got accepted with this group.

Chris and Jim gave an overview of what to expect and gave us some articles to read before the class that was scheduled for three weeks that summer. I was pleased to learn that it would be offered in the library at Iowa Wesleyan College. They told us we would be reading and journaling a lot. They said we would all need a journal and showed us a couple examples.

At one point during the orientation Chris and Jim came around and talked to us individually. I was surprised at how much they knew about me! Jim talked about the piece I had written and my background as a science teacher. I was impressed!

And, so, began the adventure that would change my life in ways I could never have imagined.

No comments: