Sunday, December 09, 2007

Becoming a Teacher VI

Teaching is a sacred trust! Families place their most prized things in your trust…their children. They trust that you will nurture them and keep them safe. It is something not to be taken lightly by educators. Because they do that, they are sometimes cautious. Probably more so today than in the 1970s when I first started teaching.

When I started some parents were a little leery of me. One, because I was a male in a field dominated by females and two, because I was a local boy with a not so great academic reputation. I got lots of questions and I am sure the school administration did to.

I was asked similar questions so many times that they began to annoy me! “Why would a male want to go into elementary education?” Do you plan to continue your education so you can be a high school teacher? And “Are you going to become an administrator?” There was/is the perception by some of the clueless that “People who can, do. People who can’t, teach”

Nothing has been heavier on my mind than safety in my entire career as an educator. I have had this terrible fear that someone would be seriously hurt or die on my watch. I took what some thought were extreme measures to see that didn’t happen.

In the first few years of my career and occasionally after that I had parents volunteer in my classroom. Actually, that first year a couple insisted on it. One wanted to organize the books in the classroom library. Given the small size of the library that took about 15 minutes. They were all obviously concerned about what I might do to their children. By Thanksgiving I had won them over and they disappeared. I guess they decided I could be trusted after all.

Because I was the first male the kids had encountered as a teacher there were other problems, too. My voice was too loud for some and others thought I was mean. I worked hard to win the kids over by over compensating. I learned to speak softly and to joke around with the kids. When we all began to have fun it made it easier for us all.

Overtime it became clear to me that being positive created an environment where kids were ready to learn. That stayed with me during my entire career whether I was teaching kindergarteners or senior citizens. A positive supportive environment is ten times more effective that a stern critical one… something some of my colleagues never learned. I have seen many coaches fall into the negative pattern of only criticizing and belittling their players and then wondering why they have such a poor record. They usually end up blaming the players. I have seen others that build on the strengths of their players and have great success. It seems so simple yet so hard for some.

No comments: