Sunday, October 18, 2009

90s30 When it Rains it Pours!

Some years move along very smoothly with few problems or disruptions. Some years don’t go so well and every so often you have a year where there are all kinds of problems. The 1997-98 school year was one of those. It is the kind of year that drives principals out of education. I lost my secretary that year and had to replace my SCI teacher. I was able to get another secretary in September but didn’t get the SCI teacher until December.

The journal entry below describes a few of the problems. There are many more entries like this. I altered this one only enough to hide the identity of the students mentioned.

Thursday, October 2, 1997
… The person I thought I had hired to take our SCI has now decided she doesn't want it. I was shocked when she told me. So now we are looking for someone to fill that position. I am hoping we can find someone soon but it is very difficult this time of the year. This is really tough on the kids... We have some difficult students to deal with. One is a 1st grader from the Africa who only speaks French. She spits, kicks, grabs, hits, licks and does about everything else to adults and students. We are working to find the best placement for her. Two girls who have been at Longfellow before have returned. They have caused a lot of trouble in the past. They often threaten and intimidate others. Hopefully we are not going to have problems with them this time around. Another child who is in 4th grade has had problems all the time she has been in school. Her mother doesn't help. She has been vocal in her dislike for me in the past but seems to be working with us right now. She pulled her older child out of Longfellow and enrolled her in Regina because she was convinced everyone picked on her here. I personally watched her on the playground for two years. I'm convinced that she dished out as much, if not more, than she got. It was very rare that anyone actually bothered her in any way. She rarely complained to me or her teacher about problems. I think what she wanted most was her mother's attention...

We seemed to be encountering more and more troubled children. Many were young and appeared to have serious problems. It was very disconcerting for us. We wondered where these kids came from and why all of a sudden we had so many in the school. It created a chaotic environment. The whole school seemed to be on edge and every time you dealt with one problem, two or three more popped up.

Stress builds up in staff, students and parents. Eventually, tempers flair and there are hard feelings. During those difficult times it is important to stay the course, keep your eye on the prize and know that these difficult times will pass.

No comments: